Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Weekend Away.


We have just returned back from a lovely weekend away in Whitby. I like Whitby where my brother and sister in law live. Its nice to see them from time to time. This was a bit of a last minute decision, mainly as I wanted to do something completely different for Mothers day. In previous years we have always spent at least part of the day with Mum, so this year was going to be particularly difficult. I think we made the right decision to go away and do something different. 

We booked a nice bed and breakfast on the top of the cliff, splashed out on a sea view but look at the photo above, it was a fog fest!!!!  We did get to see the sea, but only just!! 


The best bit about this weekend was that I was able to walk without any pain, so we walked from the cliff top right the way down to the beach and all the way along the pier!! I also walked around the town and clocked up 4 miles on my pedometer I can't remember the last time I walked that far !! I am so pleased with how far I have come.


The B and B had a lovely little sitting room looking out over the sea, but as you can tell the sea is not particularly 'seeable' in this picture!!


The Abbey is on the cliff on the other side of the harbour  I really like how this photo turned out, the fog adds and air of mystery to it!!


There were plenty of Lobster pots piled up on the harbour, The church in the background is St. Marys , just in front of the church is a church yard which has started to slide away. It was this church that featured in the Dracula books written by Bram Stoker. (previously I got my authors confused!!!)


One night we ate out at the famous Magpie Cafe, usually people queue up for ages outside, they queue down the steps and onto the pavement, its not unusual to see 40 plus people waiting to get in!! On Saturday night there was no queue, I expect March is low season even for very popular places!! We had fish and chips and it was nice, not exceptional but nice, I can now say I have been there and done that!"!!


Finally for the first time in my life I have had a Mothers Day without my dear Mum, I miss her so much its been a hard time without her.







3 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Tough when you lose your mum, isn't it? I keep thinking I ought to phone mine, who passed over in 2006!

Jenn Jilks said...

BTW
Both MY mother and my hubby's passed away on our Canadian (May) Mother's Day weekend. bizarre!

Lyzzydee said...

I know Jenn, I find myself doing the same, its strange how your mind tricks you. The world is full of those strange date things as well. Two of my children were due on the 12th of October, neither turned up on that date, the other one was due on the 31st of October and missed that date as well, when we decided to sponsor a child in Africa her date of birth was the 31st of October!!!