Sunday, February 17, 2013

Back from Liverpool.


I have just got back from a few days away in Liverpool, I was attending the UNISON Women's conference which was being held in the BT Conference centre near to Albert Docks. 
We stayed in a lovely Novotel, which was in a good position, close to the new Liverpool 1 shopping centre and not too far from the venue. On the way up we travelled by train and the weather was terrible, heavy snow and very chilly, I was glad that we had decided to take the train and I didn't have to drive on bad roads!!


The closer we got to Liverpool, the heavier the snow got, I really thought that we were going to be in for a few rough days weather wise. By the time we got off the train it had turned to heavy rain so we got a taxi to the hotel.


I have been on a flying visit to Liverpool once before when we took a ferry trip across the Mersey, but that was all we had time to do. This time we had a few spare hours to look around the shopping centre and the Docks. Liverpool also has a big  wheel, so we had a go on that as well!!!


There are loads of new buildings and they have renovated the old dock buildings the whole area is quite up market!!!


We took a walk around the docks in the photo above you can see the Cunard building and the Liver building in the background. 


Just to prove that we were there on business, we were photographed in the conference with our colleagues from Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
In the evenings we ate out at a variety of places, but the best find was a pub not too far from the hotel, run by a bloke who was the life and soul of the party. He seemed to do everything, bar man, cleaner and DJ. The drinks were very good value and the atmosphere was great. One evening he single handedly run the 60's 70's and 80's disco and karaoke evening. He even laid on free buffet for everyone in the pub!!
The journey home was busy, I thought that being a weekend we would have the train to ourselves, but I had forgotten that there would be people travelling to football matches!!
Next week is half term, Carl is spending a few days in Amsterdam and I have taken a few days off of work.
This afternoon we popped over to St Albans and Tom bought me an antique mirror that I have had my eye on for a while, an early birthday present!!!

No comments: