Friday, October 26, 2012

A good March!!


Bright and early on Saturday morning we headed off to Cockfosters underground station to catch a train into central London, Green Park to be precise!! We had our banners all safe in a black bin bag. We arrived around 45 minutes before the march was due to start. We made our way to the short march start which was next door to the Ritz, very swish!! There we lined up with all the other marchers and waited for the main march to meet us. 


The atmosphere was great with everyone chatting and exchanging stories. it was a fun event loads of banners and lots of noise. (although I was disappointed that I had forgotten to bring my horn and drum!!) I expect people close to me were happy that I had forgotten them!!! 


Beth gave her placard an airing and it was very topical. She was continually photographed with it and out of all of us on the march she managed to star on both the ITV and Channel 4 news!! Since we have been back home, we have done a google search on her placard and there are pictures of it all over the place!!


The March was MASSIVE!! there were thousands and thousands of people there. All sorts of Unions and groups were represented and it stretched  for a fair distance with the last marchers arriving in Hyde Park a full three hours after the first people. 


We arrived in Hyde Park (which was horribly muddy) and joined the crowds heading for the arena and the portaloos!! We decided not to stay too long and head back before the crowds hit the underground.


On the way out of the park we came across piles and piles of discarded banners and flags, well I do like a nice flag or two so I asked around and confirmed they had been dumped, so I liberated a couple of the big UNISON ones to take back home with me!!!


Something else to carry back with us!!!
It was a great day out and I would be more than happy to do it all again!!
Beth entered her placard into an online competition, thanks to all our friends she was voted into the top ten, we have our fingers crossed that she might win a prize, we'll have to wait and see!!!


No comments: