Monday, July 27, 2009

Beautiful Garden, Wonderful Gardener!!


This year has not been the easiest for us, there have been lots of issues, which have led to cancelation of plans, hospital stays, change of residence with operations on the horizon, it doesn't seem to get any easier. Throughout all of this you can't really put life on hold, you have to carry on and do the things that you enjoy, life isn't a rehearsal for something bigger!!
Dad loves his garden and every year he makes us and the neighbours hanging baskets. They are stunning. Occasionally we get strange additions in them, like the year we all had cannabis plants!! (from bird seed so he tells us!!!) There has been the odd tomato plant snuck in as well. So you just never know what you might get.
Today I took some shots in the garden and I was spoilt for choice.


I love this plant, I think its called an Agapanthus, its a delicate shade of blue, lavender and just looks so elegant. When he divides it in the autumn, I have put my hand up for a cutting!

The smell of tomatoes in the green house is a smell that takes me straight back to my childhood, to a time when I used to go into my grandads green house and pick all the tiny ripe tomatoes, heavenly!!


Fuchsias are so beautiful, dad looks after his and cares for them over winter, they are bought back into to bud in the spring and he grows loads of plants from their cuttings.


They always look like ballerinas to me!


This is a shot looking through the rose arch, down the rest of the small but packed garden.

Last year he saw this plant in a garden centre, saw a seed pod, which he picked up and dried in the green house. He planted the seed and now has around a dozen Chili plants, They are just starting to change colour, they will eventually turn bright red, and be very hot!!!
It takes time to make a garden like this and although I am envious of it, I simply don't have the time to devote to all the work that it needs to make it look so good, for the time being I'll stick to my sunflowers and dahlias, big and stunning plants, with very little effort !!!!!





6 comments:

karen said...

Gorgeous pictures Liz - have had the pleasure of seeing your dads garden for real - stunning..!

Jen said...

What gorgeous flowers and garden. I'm so jealous!!

Raymonde said...

If this is how my husband and I get old together, and giving pleasure to other people with our garden I really don't mind then. Thank you for sharing. xxx :)

Wendy said...

Beautiful photos! Your dad has such a knack for creating gorgeous baskets....and for gardening in general. Your post made me miss my mom.....she did this sort of thing, too.

Have a great day!
Wendy
SBS9

Debbielou said...

Gorgeous - can smell them from here!

domestic goddess said...

beautiful garden...love your Dads fun hanging baskets!